Poached Eggs with Tomato and Chorizo
Yield: Serves 3 – 4
1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
1/2 a bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3.5 oz (100 grams) chorizo sausage, chopped
14 oz (400 grams) can of plum tomatoes in juice
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 tbsp coriander, chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt, to taste
- Heat a tsp of olive oil in a frying pan (Preferably one you can also use to serve at the table). Add the cumin seeds and let them sputter. Toss in the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the chorizo and cook further for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes with the chopped thyme and coriander (leave some thyme and coriander for garnish). Stir in the paprika, add some water if the sauce seems to be drying out.
- Season with salt and cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Gently break the eggs into the pan, over the tomato sauce and let them cook on a low flame.
- Once the eggs are cooked, sprinkle over the rest of the coriander and thyme. Cook for a couple of minutes.